- a sacred object figuring in literature and certain Christian traditions
- said to possess miraculous powers
- something of a myth or legend
- those in its presence must prove themselves worthy
- ownership has been attributed to various groups
- has had many books written about it, and movies based on it
- still something of a mystery even to experts, though belief in it and interest in its whereabouts have never ceased.
Whether your baby falls asleep the moment you put him down may or may not depend on:
- all those obvious things like whether he's been recently fed, changed or burped (and is satisfied with your performance in these things)
- his mood and state of tiredness (has he crossed that invisible line into overtiredness?)
- where you're putting him down
- how you hold your mouth
- the background music and lighting
- the feng shui of the nursery
- whether you put baby down on his back, front or side
- the moon
- the alignment of the stars.
However you finally manage it, getting your baby to sleep will probably be your greatest daily achievement.
It is also on the top five list of things discussed at mothers' coffee mornings, and probably topping the list of conversation topics most likely to make you want to do some harm to the gloating mother sitting next to you.
A little Tui ad I put together: